COMS 407 Practicum
COMS 407 Practicum refers to a course of study in which you apply your learned skills or knowledge – you put them into practice. In other words, it is a project or duty where you apply your skills and learning.
Independent Study/Directed Individual Study
An Independent Study/Directed Individual Study provides you with an opportunity for individual faculty mentoring and engagement in the completion of a project. Consult with a faculty member who will oversee your project.
- COMS 498A Independent Study: research projects for Communication majors and minors
- COMS 498B Media Production Independent Study: media production projects for Communication majors and minors
- JOUR 495 Directed Individual Study: journalistic research or production projects for Journalism majors or minors
Internships (COMS 497 or JOUR 492)
Internships are a great way to gain career experience and further your professional development. With an internship, you can start to build networks and references as you apply the skills and ideas from the classroom out in the world – all while earning college credit!
- Be in good academic standing
- The internship must consist of at least 120 hours of work
- Your employer cannot be a family member
- Have completed at least 6 hours of major coursework at NIU
- Complete the internship application and all related documents
- Complete final evaluations and all related documents at the end of the internship
- Complete final evaluations and all related assignments
- Application packet
- Steps to finding and completing an internship
- Tips for a successful final internship project
- Communication internship opportunities
- Journalism internship opportunities
For information about internship credits in communication or journalism, please contact Professor Laura Vazquez, Ph.D. at firstname.lastname@example.org.